Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Crunchy Chocolate Granola Bars

We love granola bars around here and go through them like water!  I found a simple and easy recipe (from Kid's Time) and altered to our family's tastes.  Alyvia loved helping make these and more so enjoyed eating them!

Crunchy Chocolate Granola Bars

2 C whole oats (uncooked)
1/3 C ground flax seed
3/4 C organic brown sugar
1/2 C organic butter (1 stick)
1 ts pure vanilla extract
1 C organic chocolate chips
dash of baking soda

Preheat oven to 350
Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper

Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a medium saucepan stir in butter, brown sugar and vanilla and bring to a boil.
Let boil for 1 minute and then remove from heat.
Add dry ingredients to the sugar mix and stir until well mixed.
Cook in oven for 10 minutes.
Cut while warm and then let cool.

I found that the sugar may be a bit much and could probably be brought down to 1/2 or even less.  Next time I am going to add 1/2 C peanut butter.  This a great base.  For a more healthy snack, omit the chocolate chips and add chopped nuts and dried fruit.

These are great for breakfast or for a quick snack.  My little ones gobble them up!  The best part is I know what is going in them so I know what my kids are eating!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment